Every day we make numerous decisions. At times, not making a decision is also a decision. Some decisions are made on the spur of the moment, for example, what to have for breakfast or what to wear to the college and, generally, we don’t think much about them. On the other hand, some decisions are vital and have far reaching consequences and thus need to be made consciously with utmost responsibility, right understanding and awareness because it may not always be possible to go back and change the decision. Maria Robinson has very aptly said, “Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but any one can start today and make a new ending” by making an appropriate decision and acting on it.
The experiences in my life has taught me that:
“We are the products of decisions we make,
The decisions we make decide courses our lives take,
The courses our lives take impact
The way our destiny eventually shape,
With right understanding and awareness,
We have the power within to shape
Our destiny, the way we desire.”
Before we make a decision and act on it, it is advisable that we check that the decision we are about to make is :
- Naturally acceptable to us.
- In accordance with what we are and what we stand for, that is, our values and principles.
- Based on realization developed through right understanding and awareness.
- Not based on our past-conditioning but is based on the lessons learnt from those past-conditioning.
- Not based on sensory inputs through our five sense organs.
- Going to make us feel happy and will create all round happiness, when implemented.
I strongly believe in what Swami Vivekananda once said:
“We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. If what we are now has been the result of our own past actions (decisions), it certainly follows that whatever we wish to be in future can be produced by our present actions (decisions); so we have to know how to act (decide).” (emphasis added)
And, with these words of Swami Vivekananda, I sign off this blog-post wishing you success through decision making with right understanding and awareness.